Digital Opportunity Symposium at 2014 Summer Conference
ATE's 2014 Summer Conference was held August 2-5, 2014, at the Sheraton at the Falls Hotel and Conference and Event Center, Niagara Falls, New York. A highlight of the Conference was the Digital Opportunity Symposium, presented Friday, August 1, 2014. Click here to download a pdf of keynote speaker Ed Maynard's slides (this is a large file and may take some time to download).
Presenters shared powerful strategies for significantly improving free and low-cost access to broadband, computing devices, content, multilingual tech support at home, and financing for families with even bad or no credit. Presenters include
• ATE’s own Paul Resta, the founding president of ISTE.
• Ed Maynard, a regional leader in technology integration, coaching and flipped classroom instruction.
• Robbie Melton, internationally renowned for her extraordinary effort to curate tens of thousands of educational apps, searchable by type of device, subject, grade level and cost.
• Rebecca Fracassa, regional director of community investment for Comcast and its groundbreaking Internet Essentials program, that offers home broadband at $9.95/month for free/reduced-lunch eligible families.
• Bob McLaughlin, chair of ATE’s technology committee who, together with Paul Resta, co-founded the nonprofit Digital Opportunity Consortium (www.digitalopportunityforall.org).
• Susan Ballard, immediate past-president of the American Association of School Librarians, discussing her association’s extraordinary commitment to provide sustained tech support ensuring that children and families use the Internet at home safely and effectively for economic and educational opportunity.
Participants will come away from this extraordinary event refreshed, heartened that the digital divide can be closed, and armed with relationships and resources to make this happen in their communities. ATE is committed to offering this preconference prior to each summer and annual conference.
ATE's Summer Conference made the front page of the local newspaper, The Niagara Gazette. Photo above shows an article on the Summer Conference in the right hand column.
The Digital Opportunity Symposium was sponsored by GovConnection.